You might wonder who am I? Well, I’m still figuring that out for myself, but I can tell you how I’ve got to where I am now… it wasn’t plain sailing.
I began life in 1979 as the son of two entertainers from England. When I was about three months old they divorced, and I was raised by my Mother and Grandmother. My Father moved to the USA and lost contact with us. (I tracked him down when I was seventeen and have kept in contact to this day).
When I was five I made up my first story. Someone wrote it down as I dictated it, I don’t remember who though, it was a while ago!
At school I was a troublemaker. At seven I couldn’t read or even write my name, let alone read the stuff the other kids were flicking though in the class. My teacher would set us all our work, but then take me out of the classroom and lock me in the school library.
“All the answers are in the books on the shelves,” he’d tell me before leaving the room.
My Mother got me out of that school and took me to see a psychologist who found I had ADHD and Dyslexia, which explained a few things. Unlike today, most teachers didn’t know what Dyslexia was back then, and only a handful of schools had any staff trained to deal with it. Eventually, she got some funding from a Trust and sent me off to a special boarding school in Somerset to get me the help I needed.
I’ve always wanted to be a writer, but I always ended up losing the plot (no pun intended) once it began to get complicated with multiple scenes, characters, sub-plots, etc. Over the years I’ve started a number of books, but they’ve either been lost due to poor backups, or my dyslexia and ADHD has stopped me from completing them.
That Christmas I was given an Amazon Kindle, and the more I read, the more I wished the books I were reading were mine. The writing bug I’d had all my life began to grow again.
I hunted around on the internet and found a number of software applications designed to help writers organise not only their manuscripts, but also their minds – Perfect for someone with Dyslexia and ADHD. I fiddled around with a couple of story ideas, before finding the one I’m writing now, which will have a title eventually. I hope that when it’s out you enjoy reading it as much as I have writing it.
5 Things you probably didn’t know about me
1. I love cats! (and dogs, mustn’t forget dogs!)
2. I’m a procrastinator. I think we all are a little, but I may be more than most. I find it very easy (to easy!) to get distracted by something, e.g. a computer game or a TV show, when I’m supposed to be writing.
3. I’m a couch potato. I love nothing more than to take a week off work and sit in front of the TV to play games on my PlayStation, Xbox, iPhone, and whatever, binge watch TV shows and read on my Kindle.
4. I’m an introvert (mostly). 95% of the time I will avoid human contact in favor of reading, writing or the TV. However, when around close friends or their children I become a complete extrovert to the point where I become like a five year-old showing off in front of people.
5. My hobby (other than writing) is IT. Although I’ve always been passionate for it (IT), it’s also what I do for my day job, put’s food on the table and pays the mortgage. Before I started writing, I spent my weekends setting up email servers, file servers, websites and a variety of other things. To me, it’s like a Lego set – build it, look at it, destroy it and then build something else…. I still get geeky when I have the time 🙂